Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Till We Meet Again...



On Sunday January 27, the President and Prophet of our Church passed away. At 97 years old it does not come as a shock, but it is still sad to see him go. President Hinckley has been the prophet for most of my life. I remember when he was sustained as the prophet and listening to his powerful testimony. I remember sitting in the Marriott center at BYU and listening to him talk about modesty, and earrings and looking around the room and watching countless young BYU students take out their 2nd earings when President Hinckley said that we should only wear one. I looked to him with hope the General Conference after September 11th, and received peace when he spoke of the future. I have heard him speak in person four times, and each time my testimony of prophets today on the earth was strengthened. I took that testimony and bore it to the people in Italy and Malta who believed that the Heavens were closed. I have showed my sons pictures of him and bore testimony to them that we have a prophet of God on the earth that loves us and encourages us to be better. I love President Hinckley. I am happy that he has been reunited with his sweet wife and others who surely welcomed him with open arms. What a wonderful reunion he must be having! Truly, he has fought a good fight, and finished his race.

“In all of living have much of fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.” ~Gordon B. Hinckley

2 comments:

McCallisters said...

Thanks, Rachael, for your post. I am going to miss President Hinckley, but I am so happy for his reunion with his wife.

Were we at the "Be" fireside together? I definitely remember the faith and obedience of so many people taking their extra earrings out. That was so cool.

The Holyoaks said...

Thanks for this post. The world has lost a wonderful man. He will be missed.