Sunday, September 16, 2007

Vampires and Fairytales


So I am reading the Twilight book series. I have heard about these books for about a month now, and it is the CRAZE among young LDS moms, or at least in our ward. The author, Stephanie Myer is LDS and lives in the Phoenix area. I first heard about these books from my visiting teacher who said she loved the books and told me that they were "vampire love stories". Now I am not going to betray my generation and say I didn't like 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer', but I was like, "What?". But my curiosity was peaked. So here is my review of the book. I couldn't put it down. It isn't the best writing. The story was interesting and kept my attention (obviously, I read it in two days). It is easy reading and just entertaining. There isn't any depth, or sophistication. It IS a vampire love story, which does sound a little strange, but I just so happened to like it. Like I said, the writing wasn't the best, but I do think it was a fun story. I have heard some people review the book as too suggestive or that they won't let their teenage daughters read the book because it doesn't portray "real love". I find that funny because I didn't think that Cinderella portrayed "real love" either, but we still let little girls read, watch, wear, and play Cinderella. Twilight is just fiction. It is entertainment. And as for the part of people not wanting girls to read it to not get the right idea about love, I do believe that sometimes love can be as fun as a fairytale or a fiction book. I know it was for me. I often think that Todd and my story would make a good book or movie. I don't think there is anything wrong for girls to wait for true love, happiness, and to be swept off their feet. Maybe because it has become tradition in our culture to think of 21 year old girls as "old maids" pushes girls to settle, and not wait for their Edward Cullen aka: Prince Charming. I dunno. But don't get me started on that subject again! So in a nutshell, I think they are fun books. I would let my teenage daughter read them. I am reading the second one, New Moon, right now and I will say it is better then Twilight. So here are to vampires and fairytales.

4 comments:

Shae said...

So...wait...how do you really feel about it?

ha. ha. it is all the craze here. I am a little skeptical like I am about laughing yoga.

Teresa said...

I can't wait to read the second book!!! Let me know when you are finished!!! I won't let myself totally neglect my daughter this time.

Jenny said...

I'm glad you liked it. I guess thats why its a bestseller, more people like it than people like me who didn't!

Mason Family Blog :) said...

I love it too!