I stole this quote from my friend Jill's blog...
If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly . . .
Stresses in our lives come regardless of our circumstances. We must deal with them the best we can. But we should not let them get in the way of what is most important—and what is most important almost always involves the people around us.
--Thomas S. Monson
I also love this one...
Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton
I want to vinyl letter part of that poem and hang it somewhere someday. I think about those lines almost every day. I sometimes beat myself up for stressing too much about this, or losing my patience about that. I am trying to have more joy in the journey. I often think about the day when Thatcher and Taggart will leave on their missions, and I hug them now a little more tightly.
On a less serious note...
For my mission friends...who knew that Uncle Gunnell was on Kath and Kim?? I didn't, until last night...
Love this show. It is hillarious. New favorite show of the Fall along with 17 Kids and Counting (Who has seen this? I still can't get over it every time I watch, the woman is a SAINT), John and Kate plus 8 (this isn't a new show, but I just discovered it and LOVE it), Chuck (very funny), and Biggest Loser (again, not a new show but the first season I have gotten into it, very inspiring).


11 comments:
ha ha ha...ahhh uncle gunnell. Best uncle ever. So fun to read this posting. Any internships in sunny FL?
OK we need to teach our son the number thing! that is too funny about the #3!! way cute! OH ....and I love all of those shows too! I watch em all- Love Chuck and Jon and Kate and Kath and Kim and all the old favs and Biggest Loser- all of it. I think I have a line up every night of the week! Ha - Hope are you well :)
Thank you so much for posting this Rachael. I guess I was impressed to check my igoogle right now. I am feeling so overwhelmed. It is true, one day I will terribly miss these days. I need to slow down my life and just make my babies smile. Thanks again.
What Christmas crafts are you making?! I'll have to stop by and see!
Yes, we too have taught Aidan about numbering when it comes to the bathroom. kids have NO internal censor, so we have also experienced some embarrassing declarations at church and in public. Kids are great that way, they just speak truth, whatever it may be. Loved the quotes.
Thanks for the great quotes!
Hey! Rachael- It's Molly!! It's so fun to keep up on your new Boston life!! When are we all going to ever catch up with each other?? When you get a chance email me your new address!! mmpickett@gmail.com
Love ya!
We had an embroidery that my Grandma did of the last stanza of the Hamilton poem hanging in our house growing up. I love it. I guess it would have been embroidery then, crosss-stitch in the 80s and vinyl letters now. Either way, it is a poignant message and I always think of it when I'm playing with Mason instead of doing the housework.
Awww, I love that Thomas S. Monson quote. Wasn't it in this last conference? I remember how good that talk was, and how we need to stop stressing over the little things, and just enjoy the journey. Our prophet is a very wise man :).
time for another one??? :)
Hey Rachael, I liked this post a lot, especially the two wonderful quotes about parenting. When we stayed at the Boyd's house on the Cape last summer I wrote down the last paragraph of that poem because it was displayed somewhere in their house and I really liked it. I'm glad that now I have the whole poem. Those are such great truths that mothers need to remember on a continuous basis. Thanks!
Post a Comment