Friday, March 06, 2009

So Proud

I got this video off of my friend Sara's blog. A few months ago a panel representing a variety of religious outlooks was convened at Harvard and moderated by The Washington Post's, Sally Quinn. On that panel was Harvard junior, Rachel Esplin, from Blackfoot, Idaho, president of the Latter-day Student Association on campus and a member of the Interfaith Council.
Seasoned journalist, Sally Quinn is a tough questioner and asked Rachel questions about whether the Church was a cult, were women treated unequally, why the secrecy surrounding the temple, what are garments, and much more.
What is fascinating about this video is the aplomb with which Rachel answers the questions, neither shrinking nor apologizing before Quinn's questions, and feeling free to assert her testimony, a remarkable quality in one so young put on the spot. If I was Rachel's mother I would be very proud. I am proud that she is in Cambridge standing up so strongly for what we believe in, in a very respectful, assertive way. She would make a dang good missionary. As Latter-day Saints, especially following the avalanche of misconceptions that were passed on by the media in the last two years, we have been advised to step up and help clear the ignorance and misunderstandings so many people hold. Rachel is a good example of doing just that. This is a long video, but well worth the watch, especially if you are not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints, because it really address alot of the popular questions regarding our religion.

Day of Faith: Personal Quests for a Purpose - 3. Rachel Esplin from Harvard Hillel on Vimeo.


*side note...I love the Rabi sitting next to Rachel in this video, doesn't he seem like he is such a nice guy?*

4 comments:

RAJ said...

Wow. Just wow. I started watching this thinking it would be interesting at best, but that I'd turn it off after a minute or two and get back to work. Now, 25 minutes later, I don't know where the time has gone. That was great. Thanks for posting this.

The Holyoaks said...

This was great. I can't believe I actually had 20 minutes of uninterupted time to watch it!

AJ said...

Well I didn't (have 20 mins uninterrupted)! But it was still fantastic, even in segments throughout my day today. Thanks for sharing, I really appreciate links like this.

denise plant said...

Hi, I'm Terese Plant's sister. She told me to check this out.

Thanks for sharing. She answers everything so perfectly!