Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Grand Finale Cake

I just finished my Wilton course 2 cake class last night! It was so fun. I totally love this new little hobby. I signed up for course 3 next month and we learn fondant and tiered cakes, which I am really excited about. Here is my grand finale cake. Two disclaimers about these photos: excuse the dishes in the sink, and for those of you cake decorators out there, don't look to close at my basket weave! It was the first time I had done it, I am going to keep practicing.



13 comments:

Kelli and Chad said...

WOW, that is amazing!! You should be teaching me, I am terrible at cakes. It looks so delicious. I know a few people taking cake courses right now, I didn't even know there was such a thing. Good job!

AJ said...

holy crap, that's amazing! How long does that take? How do you do that basket weave?

mom said...

Rach--your cake is beautiful! You are so talented!!!! We know who to go to now on for birthdays and holidays! Nice work!!!!

Andrea said...

Your cake looks great. I hope you keep it up. I have never enjoyed baking so it was a hard hobby to enjoy. If same made me a cake I could have fun decorating it. I took the same classes at Michael's 2 1/2 years ago and haven't touched a cake since then. My friend started a business when we were done, but I just became the proud owner of lots of tips, bags and accessories in my cool Wilton toolbox.

Niki said...

I am SO impressed Rachael! I couldn't do that if I tried. What a fantastic hobby to have. It will come in VERY handy for all occasions. Kuddos again!

S B H said...

Wow! That is beautiful! I have been fiddling around decorating cakes on my own, but now I am thinking that I need to take a class or two! Keep posting your progress!

HRH mbs said...

Wish I lived closer so I could dream up a reason to have you use your new talent to make me a cake! Two words: beautiful (and) yum! :)

Donna said...

What a beautiful cake! Congratulations!

Cottrells said...

Wow, those flowers are awesome! I've always wanted to learn to make floweres!

Sara Adams said...

Love the cake!!! My basketweave was always so uneven, but yours looks great!!! I was so lazy this year, that for Kyles birthday, I just bought a cake, that was just frost white from Costco, and then just decorated the top...I know...that's pathetic! I can't believe that Thatcher is 4!!!

Sarah Bishop Jackson said...

That is beautiful. A long, long, long, LONG time ago, I took the same course. My cakes weren't as good looking' as yours!!

amy stansel said...

Wow Rachael! What a great looking cake. I took the first wilton class and loved it but haven't made it back for more. I can't imagine how long this took you to do!!!

McCallisters said...

Gorgeous! Do you dare eat it?